Friday, February 11, 2011

Day...??

(Sorry for the weird format! I have no clue how to change it...)
Ooops. Apparently when you have a blog you are responsible for updating it. Apologies to everyone! It’s been a lot harder finding internet than I had anticipated. But here it is, the long awaited blog post. On February 18th, I find out my site placement so look for that one next week! 
Here is a little background on all the things that have been going on in my life these last few weeks:

CIUDAD DE SABER
My first few days in Panama were spent in the City of Knowledge. I believe it’s left over from the US Canal Zone days but now it is used for trainings and conventions. The main Peace Corps office is also located on the campus. We were housed in little villas with six beds, a kitchen, a living room and a bathroom. Every meal was catered and delicious! I don’t think I will have any trouble eating here, everything is delicious and/or fried (which will most likely be a problem later but I’m not going to worry about that now). We met our awesome Country Director and Training Staff. I was really comforted when I met the Medical Staff since we all know they will be my new best friends. 

VOLUNTEER VISIT TO CHICA
During our first weekend in Panama, our huge group of aspirantes visited PCV Christy in Chica before moving into our training sites. The PCV lives in an amazing town up in the mountains about two hours outside of the city. It has stunning mountain top views of Panama and the ocean. The temperature is cooler up there which was a much welcomed break from the heat. The town is attempting to grow its tourism and horticulture industries (hence the need for a PCV). The PCV spends her time teaching English in the primary school, holding cooking classes in her house and working with the tourism committee to promote her town as a tourist destination. Apparently close by there is rock climbing and other outdoorsy activities. It is also a popular destination for Panamanians to travel too to buy beautiful plants for their gardens. Hopefully I can take my first visitor back there for a day trip. My small world story of the day is that the PCV and I had a mutual friend back in the States. It always amazes me when I find these connections so far away from home. 

SANTA CLARA
My new home for the next few weeks is the lovely town of Santa Clara. I have no clue how many people live here or the actual boundaries of the town. I also have no clue how to get here. I simply get on a bus (aka a Diablo rojo) and I am magically dropped off at the bus stop across from my house. There are no street names or street lights. Addresses for houses are described as the following: Blue house across from the Chinese store. (Cultural note: the small stores in town called tiendas are mostly owned by Chinese so they are called el chino…). I live with seven people in a super nice house in the center of town. Yep, I lucked out. Not only do I have indoor plumbing, but I also have my own room. Most of the other PCTs have outdoor latrines and running water only every other day. I live with my Madre, her son, her granddaughter and two toddlers who are my main form of entertainment when I get sick of the telenovelas and dubbed Steven Segal movies on TV. I don’t understand a single word that comes out of their mouths so we often communicate through animal noises. Needless to say we have a lot of fun coloring, playing soccer and playing the game “Que es esto” where they ask me a million questions and I try to use my limited Spanish vocabulary to explain what it is. I claim no responsibility if they start speaking Spanglish. 

A note on Diablo Rojos: the main form of transportation here are the Diablos Rojos. They are old U.S. school buses that Panamanians have managed to turn into insane looking death traps. They are decked out with crazy paint jobs on the outside and flashing neon lights, while the insides have feather boas and stickers galore. I was on one the other day and the driver hotwired the bus to get it to start…that pretty much sums them up. Look forward to pictures in the future. 

SPANISH CLASSES
Every morning, I have four hours of Spanish class. It’s not as miserable as it sounds but some days it can be. My teacher is a really great woman but some days are just not good Spanish days. We don’t get too many breaks and some days my brain is just done. I try to speak as much as I can in class but it’s so frustrating not having the vocabulary I need to express my opinions and tell one of the hundreds of anecdotes they get us to practice every day. I’ve heard that I learn the most Spanish my first few months in site so I will just hold out for that. 

TECHINCAL CLASSES/RIO CONGO
Every afternoon, the Santa Clarans travel to Rio Congo for technical classes. We have class in the outdoor courtyard of the local primary school, thank god it’s not rainy season.  There, we learn about pedagogy in Panama, learning styles, lesson plans and whatever else we need to learn before working in a Panamanian school. Even though we still have a few weeks to go, we have a lot left to learn and I’m getting a little anxious to start my service.   

CHORRERA DAYS
Oh Chorrera days, my favorite days of the week. Once or twice a week, our group travels to the second largest city in Panama (and up there on the dirty scale too) La Chorrera. We have a full day of training that includes health, safety and any other general topic that Peace Corps wants us to learn about that day. It’s also the day for vaccinations which is always a bit painful but hey, at least I won’t be getting Typhoid anytime soon. The training sessions take place at the luxurious Salon de Venezia. Every week it has a new color scheme for the quincineras and wedding receptions that are hosted there after we leave on Fridays. I believe it is one of the nicer places in La Chorrera but any American would use one word to describe it…tacky. I can’t hate too much on the décor though, it’s a welcome change of scenery and its air conditioned. They also feed us every two hours there. We get to have breakfast number two, followed by buffet style lunch, dessert, then dessert number two which lately has been Panamanian style donuts. I think I gain about five pounds every Chorrera Day. 

Last week we had an awesome group of current PCVs from Panama give a presentation on diversity and how it may be difficult to integrate into Panamanian culture. I had never really given much thought to being an atheist in a religious country. While the official religion here is Catholicism and taught in the schools, Evangelicals and Baptists are also really prevalent in Panama. There is a lot of religious tolerance here which is great to see but not so much tolerance for those who don’t participate in any religion, aka me. Therefore, when I get to my site, it is recommended that I fudge the truth a little. Maybe I’ll pretend to be a different religion every week. 

About two weeks ago we stayed after in La Chorrera to go the big Feria Internacional which just so happens to be that picture I posted in an earlier blog entry. It was a huge festival that had barrel racing, “roller coasters,” tons of food vendors and other stuff to buy and a concert by the rapper, Nigga (yes that’s really his stage name and no he is not black). The night was a great distraction from training but we couldn’t stay out too late since transportation is pretty unreliable after 8pm. We rode back home in a Chiva which is pretty much a sketchy van that I’m always convinced will not take me to the right Santa Clara (there are quite a few in Panama).  

VOLUNTEER VISIT TO CHIRIQUI
At the end of January, we went on our first adventure without Peace Corps holding our hands. One of my fellow PCTs and I went to a place called Limones, Baru in Chirqui. Look it up on a map. It’s as far west as you can possible go and still be in Panama. The community is on a long peninsula that Costa Rica and Panama split right down the middle. The PCV that I visited lives literally right on the beach. She had an amazing rancho with a palm tree roof and hammocks underneath. It was her own little paradise and mine as well for the week. Unfortunately, her work in the community was a bit difficult due to the fact that barely anyone lives in the town and there is no tourism since the roads make it almost impossible to get there but she made the best of her situation and I was inspired by her dedication to Peace Corps and Limones. But to get to Limones from Santa Clara, I had to take a bus to Albrook (one hour), a bus to David (8 hours), a bus to Puerto Armuelles (4 hours), and a bus to Limones (1 hour after an hour long wait). Pretty intense and out of the way but so worth it in the end. The visit really helped to motivate me after a tough few weeks. Thank you so much Gretchen for having us!  

Well that’s all I have for now. I promise I will post next week after I find out my site placement! Keep your fingers crossed for me! I will also try to upload some pictures soon from all my adventures so you can see what it’s like. Unfortunately, all the internet here is way too slow to download anything to this blog. 


Hasta luego amigos y familia! Me extraño mucho de ustedes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment